From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:30:23
1 On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:27:23AM -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 02:36 -0700, Duncan wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>OTOH, it's entirely possible a Gentoo /based/ enterprise distribution may
6 > >>emerge at some point. IMO, however, there's enough conflict with what
7 > >>makes Gentoo great at what it does today, that such efforts should be
8 > >>separate from Gentoo itself.
11 > > I don't disagree with you entirely, but there's nothing stopping us from
12 > > *also* producing a "Gentoo Enterprise Linux" distribution.
13 > >
14 > > Like I said, I'll post my proposal, modified to fit the times, of
15 > > course, as soon as I get a chance (it'll take a while to write back up).
16 >
17 > As seen from the discussion earlier this week, I don't think Gentoo has
18 > the proper open-mindness to create a proper enterprise distro.
19
20 Why should gentoo do it? While this statement likely will be twisted
21 around as "gentoo developers don't want enterprise", what I'm asking
22 specifically is why pulling and maintaining a subset of ebuilds is
23 something that must exist within gentoo. We *do* have projects
24 external to gentoo.
25
26 Either way, 'open-mindness' bit is off- I'm mentioning this
27 alternative due to the fact that it's not a matter of 'open-mindness',
28 matter of interest. Can't make folk do what they don't give a damn
29 about.
30
31 > Just look at all the comments made from my thread earlier.
32 > You cannot make an enterprise distro without
33 > focus or direction and a leader. You'll be stuck in committee decisions
34 > all the time.
35
36 If y'all spawn an enterprise distro of gentoo you can run it however
37 you want. Sub project or external, your stuff, your decisions-
38 reaction was to y'all pushing that management structure upon gentoo as
39 a whole, rather then the folk who desire it.
40
41 Meanwhile, either we can discuss glep19 specifics, or continue working
42 over an issue that bluntly doesn't matter right now- management
43 structure matters not if y'all don't have the basic technical reqs
44 nailed down.
45
46 So can we stick tech crap at this point please?
47
48 ~harring