From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev <-> mdev
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:58:34
1 On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > BTW, any "gentooish" documentation out there on rootfs as tmpfs, with
3 > /etc and the like mounted on top of it, operationally ro, rw remounted
4 > for updates?
5 >
6 > That's obviously going to take an initr*, which I've never really
7 > understood to the point I'm comfortable with my ability to recover from
8 > problems so I've not run one since my Mandrake era, but that's a status
9 > that can change, and what with the /usr move and some computer problems I
10 > just finished dealing with, I've been thinking about the possibility
11 > lately. So if there's some good docs on the topic someone can point me
12 > at, I'd be grateful. =:^)
13
14 I doubt anybody has tried it, so you'll have to experiment.
15
16 I imagine you could do it with a dracut module. There is already a
17 module that will parse a pre-boot fstab (/etc/fstab.sys). The trick
18 is that you need to create the root filesystem and the mountpoints
19 within it first. The trick will be how dracut handles not specifying
20 a root filesystem.
21
22 However, if anything I think the future trend will be towards having
23 everything back on the root filesystem, since with btrfs you can set
24 quotas on subvolumes and have a lot more flexibility in general, which
25 you start to lose if you chop up your disks. However, I guess you
26 could still have one big btrfs filesystem and mount individual
27 subvolumes out of it onto your root. I'm not really sure what that
28 gets you. Having the root itself be a subvolume does have benefits,
29 since you can then snapshot it and easily boot back off a snapshot if
30 something goes wrong.
31
32 Rich