From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev <-> mdev
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 01:04:13
1 Rich Freeman posted on Sat, 14 Jul 2012 19:57:41 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 >> BTW, any "gentooish" documentation out there on rootfs as tmpfs, with
5 >> /etc and the like mounted on top of it, operationally ro, rw remounted
6 >> for updates?
7 >>
8 >> That's obviously going to take an initr*, which I've never really
9 >> understood to the point I'm comfortable with my ability to recover from
10 >> problems so I've not run one since my Mandrake era, but that's a status
11 >> that can change, and what with the /usr move and some computer problems
12 >> I just finished dealing with, I've been thinking about the possibility
13 >> lately. So if there's some good docs on the topic someone can point me
14 >> at, I'd be grateful. =:^)
15 >
16 > I doubt anybody has tried it, so you'll have to experiment.
17
18 "Anybody" /anybody/, or "anybody" on gentoo? FWIW, there are people
19 running it in general (IIRC much of the discussion was on Debian, some on
20 Fedora/RH), but I didn't see anything out there written from a gentoo
21 perspective. Gentoo-based docs/perspective does help, as one isn't
22 constantly having to translate binary-based assumptions into "gentooese",
23 but there's enough out there in general that a suitably determined/
24 motivated person at the usual experienced gentoo user level should be
25 able to do it, without having to be an /extreme/ wizard. But so far I've
26 not been /that/ motivated, and if there was gentoo docs available, it
27 would bring the barriers down far enough that I likely /would/ then have
28 the (now lower) required motivation/determination.
29
30 Just looking for that shortcut, is all. =:^)
31
32 > I imagine you could do it with a dracut module. There is already a
33 > module that will parse a pre-boot fstab (/etc/fstab.sys). The trick is
34 > that you need to create the root filesystem and the mountpoints within
35 > it first. The trick will be how dracut handles not specifying a root
36 > filesystem.
37
38 While I do know dracut is an initr* helper, you just made me quite aware
39 of just how much research I'd have to do on the topic. =:^\ I wasn't
40 aware dracut even /had/ modules, while you're referring to them with the
41 ease of familiarity...
42
43 > However, if anything I think the future trend will be towards having
44 > everything back on the root filesystem, since with btrfs you can set
45 > quotas on subvolumes and have a lot more flexibility in general, which
46 > you start to lose if you chop up your disks. However, I guess you could
47 > still have one big btrfs filesystem and mount individual subvolumes out
48 > of it onto your root. I'm not really sure what that gets you. Having
49 > the root itself be a subvolume does have benefits, since you can then
50 > snapshot it and easily boot back off a snapshot if something goes wrong.
51
52 The big problem with btrfs subvolumes from my perspective is that they're
53 still all on a single primary filesystem, and if that filesystem develops
54 problems... all your eggs/data are in one big basket, good luck if the
55 bottom drops out of it!
56
57 One lesson I've had drilled into my head repeatedly over now two decades
58 of computer experience... don't put all your data in one basket! It's a
59 personal policy that's saved my @$$ more than a few times over the years.
60
61 Even with raid, when I first setup md/raid, I set it up as a nice big
62 (partitioned) raid, with a second (similarly partitioned) raid as a
63 backup. With triple-digits gigs of data (this was pre-terabyte-drive
64 era), a system-crash related re-add and resync would take /hours/.
65
66 So when I rebuilt the setup, I created over a dozen (including working
67 and backup copies of many of them) individual raids, each in its own set
68 of partitions on the physical devices, some raids of which were further
69 partitioned, some not, but only the media raid (and its backup) were
70 anything like 100 gigs, and with many of even the working raids (plus all
71 backups) not even activated for normal operation unless I was actually
72 working on whatever data was on that raid, and in general even most of
73 the the assembled raids with rw mounting not actively writing at the time
74 of a crash, re-add and resync tended to be seconds or minutes, not hours.
75
76 So I'm about as strong a partitioning-policy advocate as you'll get, tho
77 I do keep everything that the pm installs, along with the installation
78 database (so /etc, /usr, /var, but not for instance /var/log or /usr/src,
79 which are mountpoints), on the same (currently) rootfs of 8-ish gigs,
80 with a backup root partition (actually two of them now) that I can point
81 the kernel at from grub, if the working rootfs breaks for some reason.
82 So the separate /usr/ thing hasn't affected me at all, because /usr/ is
83 on rootfs.
84
85 But as I said I had some computer hardware issues recently, and they made
86 me aware of just how nice it'd be to have that rootfs mounted read-only
87 for normal operation -- no fsck/log-replay needed on read-only-at-time-of-
88 crash mounts! =:^)
89
90 So I'm pondering just how hard it would be...
95 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman