From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev <-> mdev
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 12:32:07
1 On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman posted on Sat, 14 Jul 2012 19:57:41 -0400 as excerpted:
3 >>
4 >> I doubt anybody has tried it, so you'll have to experiment.
5 >
6 > "Anybody" /anybody/, or "anybody" on gentoo? FWIW, there are people
7 > running it in general (IIRC much of the discussion was on Debian, some on
8 > Fedora/RH), but I didn't see anything out there written from a gentoo
9 > perspective.
10
11 I'd think that a source vs binary distro wouldn't matter much as far
12 as a tmpfs-based root goes. That is, if you're taking about an empty
13 root that you just mount stuff on top of.
14
15 >> I imagine you could do it with a dracut module. There is already a
16 >> module that will parse a pre-boot fstab (/etc/fstab.sys). The trick is
17 >> that you need to create the root filesystem and the mountpoints within
18 >> it first. The trick will be how dracut handles not specifying a root
19 >> filesystem.
20 >
21 > While I do know dracut is an initr* helper, you just made me quite aware
22 > of just how much research I'd have to do on the topic. =:^\ I wasn't
23 > aware dracut even /had/ modules, while you're referring to them with the
24 > ease of familiarity...
25
26 See:
27 http://rich0gentoo.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/a-quick-dracut-module/
28
29 Much of dracut's power comes from its modules. Again, I'm not sure
30 how it handles not being given a root at all. You'd have to build a
31 root, or extract it from a tarball/etc.
32
33 Looking at the docs it seems like you'd need a hook for the cmdline
34 stage that sets rootok (assuming it gets that far without a root, or
35 if you set it to something like root=TMPFS). Then you'd install a
36 hook to mount to mount the tmpfs, and then use the fstab-sys module to
37 mount everything else. You'd need to create mountpoints for
38 everything of course, and not just the boot-critical stuff, since
39 otherwise openrc won't be able to finish mounting mounting everything.
42 > The big problem with btrfs subvolumes from my perspective is that they're
43 > still all on a single primary filesystem, and if that filesystem develops
44 > problems... all your eggs/data are in one big basket, good luck if the
45 > bottom drops out of it!
46
47 Maybe, but does it really buy you much if you only lose /lib, and not
48 /usr? I guess it is less data to restore from backup, but...
49
50 The beauty of btrfs subvolumes is that it lets you manage all your
51 storage as a single pool, even more flexibly than LVM. Sure, chopping
52 it up does reduce the impact of failure a bit, but I'd hate to have to
53 maintain such a system. Filesystem failure should be a very rare
54 occurance for any decent filesystem (of course, this is why I won't be
55 using btrfs in production for a while).
56
57 Rich