From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Committing straight to stable
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:36:04
1 On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:24:08 +0200 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò"
2 <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
3 | I think that doing something like that, surely will increase safety,
4 | but will also drive gentoo out of the world.
5 |
6 | We have already too many packages which needs maintainers, and having
7 | to double-check every commit can be very very slow, because if
8 | there's too few people doing the second check, the bottleneck will
9 | stop everything being fixed, changed, updated.
10
11 If it were implemented with CVS, then yes, because it'd be unusably
12 slow. With SVN, doing a branch merge for approval is extremely fast. And
13 your mentor is already checking all your commits, right? They're
14 supposed to do that for the first month or so (depending upon how long
15 it is before it becomes obvious that you're safe). A branch is just the
16 same, but without the added hazard of having commits going straight to
17 the live tree.
20 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
21 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
22 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm