From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Committing straight to stable
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:26:49
1 On Sunday 24 April 2005 23:08, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > Also if who approves is _not_ the mentor / sane a 4 eyes check is always
3 > a good thing (TM) it's the way kernel develop is going from years now,
4 > right?
5 I think that doing something like that, surely will increase safety, but will
6 also drive gentoo out of the world.
7
8 We have already too many packages which needs maintainers, and having to
9 double-check every commit can be very very slow, because if there's too few
10 people doing the second check, the bottleneck will stop everything being
11 fixed, changed, updated.
12
13 Another problem is that there are tons of commits everyday, some of them are
14 just trivials. I'm a new developer, but still today i did at least 10
15 commits, if I counted them all. Some of them was just ~amd64 markings, other
16 were fixes and version bumps. Some of them can't be tested, would require
17 mergers to try the change locally and that could be really long, as to test
18 some of them I needed to rebuild at least 6 packages. Also when keywording is
19 concerned, after some time seeing similar patches you just can't say the
20 differences between them.
21
22 I've done a couple of errors in this week I worked on gentoo, yes, but I was
23 able to fix them asap. They was mainly trivial errors which I really have
24 overseen (a ! not separed by space, an $Id: $ in a patch); probably
25 double-checking them could have fixed them, but like so applying a security
26 patch would have took surely more than just the about 40 minutes it took.
29 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
30 Gentoo Developer (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64)
31
32 http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/