From: Chad Huneycutt <chadh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] pcmcia-cs stuff
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 06:45:18
1 I am proposing the following to replace Gentoo's current pcmcia setup.
2 If you use pcmcia, please read the following and reply with any comments
3 or suggestions. In particular, if you have a laptop that only works with
4 pcmcia-cs's i82365 controller driver, please let me know via a comment in
5 bug #14650
6
7 There are several bugs complaining about the fact that it is not
8 currently possible to use the kernel controller driver, i.e.,
9 yenta_socket, with pcmcia-cs modules. Actually the bigger complaint
10 currently is that yenta_socket isn't on the livecd, but if we instead
11 had just kernel support on the CD, the outcry would be worse.
12
13 If you are curious why it is either/or, the problem is that there are
14 several modules provided by pcmcia-cs package that are also provided by
15 the kernel. I have no idea about which is better (they may be
16 identical), but when that collission occurs, then kernel modules are
17 always preferred. The other problem is that pcmcia-cs provides the
18 i82365 controller driver and the kernel provides yenta_socket. I
19 honestly don't know exactly the history of these drivers, but it appears
20 that a lot of laptops require the yenta_socket. I haven't heard anyone
21 say that they had to have i82365, though.
22
23 To address these problems, I have broken the pcmcia-cs package into two
24 separate pieces, pcmcia-cs-tools and pcmcia-cs-drivers. The idea is
25 that the split package will make setup a little more clear. It is a
26 little confusing to have your kernel configuration affect the outcome of
27 an emerge.
28
29 The pcmcia installation steps of a laptop now looks something like:
30
31 1. When configuring the kernel, if you need pcmcia support, make sure to
32 *enable* it (either as modules or built-in). If you need any modules
33 that *aren't provided by pcmcia-cs [probably need to provide a pointer
34 to pcmcia-cs.sf.net's list of supported cards], then enable them
35 (probably as modules, so they can be unloaded when you remove the card).
36
37 2. After installing your new kernel modules (make modules_install), if
38 you need any kernel modules provided by the pcmcia-cs project, then
39 emerge pcmcia-cs-drivers. NOTE: you will need to remerge this every
40 time you rebuild your kernel to rebuild the modules for your new kernel
41 and reinstall them.
42
43 3. If you want to use cardmgr to control starting and stopping of pcmcia
44 services, then emerge pcmcia-cs-tools && rc-update add pcmcia default
45
46 This scheme essentially means that we use yenta_socket and prefer
47 pcmcia-cs modules, although I think that if you configure a kernel
48 module, it will override the pcmcia-cs module. The only case that isn't
49 handled as I mentioned above is if you *need* the i82365 and ds driver
50 from pcmcia-cs.
51
52 Thoughts, objections, discussion?
55 Chad Huneycutt (chadh@g.o)