From: Mark Gordon <mark.gt@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pcmcia-cs stuff
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:43:38
1 On 30 Jan 2003 01:37:46 -0500
2 Chad Huneycutt <chadh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 <snip>
5
6 > To address these problems, I have broken the pcmcia-cs package into
7 > two separate pieces, pcmcia-cs-tools and pcmcia-cs-drivers. The idea
8 > is that the split package will make setup a little more clear. It is
9 > a little confusing to have your kernel configuration affect the
10 > outcome of an emerge.
11
12 Seems fine to me. I'm only using the kernel drivers, so I'll give this a
13 test this evening (UK time). I don't want my laptop dying whilst I'm in
14 the office.
15
16 BTW I'm currently running pcmcia-cs-3.2.3-r1 (my entire notebooke is on
17 ~x86). I've set /etc/conf.d/pcmcia-cs to load yenta-socket
18 (PCIC="yenta socket") and everything work here. My only comment is that
19 the comments in this file need updating.
20
21 > The pcmcia installation steps of a laptop now looks something like:
22 >
23 > 1. When configuring the kernel, if you need pcmcia support, make sure
24 > to*enable* it (either as modules or built-in). If you need any
25 > modules that *aren't provided by pcmcia-cs [probably need to provide a
26 > pointer to pcmcia-cs.sf.net's list of supported cards], then enable
27 > them(probably as modules, so they can be unloaded when you remove the
28 > card).
29
30 Reading the kernel configuration help, this looks like a problem for
31 (very) old laptops, i.e. ones with the old 16 bit PCMCIA interface
32 instead of the 32 bit CardBus interface. I don't have an old enough
33 laptop to confirm whether the kernel drivers will work with old 16 bit
34 PCMCIA interfaces.
35
36 > 2. After installing your new kernel modules (make modules_install), if
37 > you need any kernel modules provided by the pcmcia-cs project, then
38 > emerge pcmcia-cs-drivers. NOTE: you will need to remerge this every
39 > time you rebuild your kernel to rebuild the modules for your new
40 > kernel and reinstall them.
41
42 I won't use this unless I can't avoid it because I find it a real pain,
43 especially when I have multiple kernels installed.
44
45 > 3. If you want to use cardmgr to control starting and stopping of
46 > pcmcia services, then emerge pcmcia-cs-tools && rc-update add pcmcia
47 > default
48 >
49 > This scheme essentially means that we use yenta_socket and prefer
50 > pcmcia-cs modules, although I think that if you configure a kernel
51 > module, it will override the pcmcia-cs module.
52
53 So you are saying if I already have the modules, it won't be overwritten
54 by building the pcmcia-cs-kernel module? If this is the case, then I can
55 test this for the PCMCIA modules I've built for my kernel. I'll report
56 back on if it works later.
57
58 > The only case that
59 > isn't handled as I mentioned above is if you *need* the i82365 and ds
60 > driver from pcmcia-cs.
61 >
62 > Thoughts, objections, discussion?
63
64 As I say, the lack of support for 16 bit PCMCIA interfaces in the kernel
65 may be a problem for people with (very) old notebooks, but I don't have
66 anything old enough to test it on. In principal, what you've done will
67 be fine for everyone else IMHO.
68 --
69 Mark Gordon
70 Paid to be a geek.
71 Currently looking for a new job within commuting distance of Slough,
72 Berks, U.K.
75 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list