From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 05:56:44
1 Rich Freeman posted on Thu, 11 Feb 2016 07:55:52 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Now, auto-unmask could still propose sticking USE=+foo in your
4 > package.use if you have USE=-foo in your make.conf, which is already the
5 > behavior today. If you've made any explicit USE setting in your
6 > configuration, portage would never ignore it, but only suggest that you
7 > change it.
8
9 So my USE="-* ..." (without letting portage do autounmasking) would
10 continue to work just like it does now, correct?
11
12 Because I allow neither profile USE flags nor profile @system packages
13 (all such profile entries and package-based default-use are negated),
14 here, and my package.use files contain only specific exceptions to my
15 global USE policy settings, together with (generally date-stamped)
16 comments justifying exactly why that exception is there.
17
18 By definition, then, If I haven't specifically set USE=flag, my system
19 policy is USE=-flag, and I want to know about and specifically setup any
20 exceptions (or if justified change my system policy), so I can set the
21 justification notes at the same time.
22
23 Because I'd be rather put out at anyone suggesting that I have to
24 specifically -flag each individual flag I want to be hard off, not
25 squishy off, as that's all the flags I've not specifically set hard on.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman