From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 06:48:26
1 On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 23:30:09 -0700
2 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/24/2016 09:42 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
5 > > On 08/24/2016 09:33 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
6 > >> * no benefit put forth so far, other than that it's the same file that
7 > >> systemd uses, which is true but not beneficial as far as I can tell
8 > >
9 > > It's a de facto standard. Being different for the sake of being
10 > > different is not a virtue in cases like this.
13 > And doing things because "everyone else does it" is dumb, because it
14 > precludes our ability to choose and makes us subject to the decisions
15 > made outside of our distribution. Of course, as a distro we're subject
16 > to outside decisions often, but what's the point of being a distro if
17 > you're doing things the same way everyone else does?
18
19 And doing things different just because "we can" is even more dumb,
20 because it precludes our ability to offer users consistent environment
21 and makes us subject to the decisions made by random Gentoo developers
22 long time ago. Of course, as a distro we're subject to single developer
23 decisions often, but what's the point of being a distro if you are
24 bound to bad decisions made in the past by a single person?
25
26 Not saying that I care but just pointing out how dumb this
27 argumentation is.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny
32 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>