From: "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prevent binary/non-compiled packages from binary package creation
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 01:56:33
1 On 10/08/17 11:47, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 11:25:34 +1000
3 > "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 09/08/17 10:43, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
6 >>> Also your redistributing another's package
7 >>> in binary format which may not be legally allowed.
8 >>
9 >> Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting redistributing license-encumbered
10 >> packages. Since binary packages are managed by the system
11 >> administrator, not Gentoo (as a distro), it remains with the
12 >> administrator to adhere to any relevant license restrictions. Plus
13 >> the package manager can't tell if you're distributing binaries or not.
14 >
15 > Sure, I was just pointing out that there maybe legal needs to prevent
16 > such. Unless someone wants to circumvent. Their call but not default.
17 >
18 > The package manager knows about fetch restricted ebuilds. It should
19 > not to re-package that stuff. IMHO
20
21 Packaging a binary is not redistributing. Building binpkgs does not mean
22 you're going to redistribute them, and even if you were, the package
23 manager has no way of determining that aside from an
24 --im-going-to-redist-this-package option.
27 Sam Jorna (wraeth)
28 GnuPG ID: D6180C26