From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prevent binary/non-compiled packages from binary package creation
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 01:47:43
1 On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 11:25:34 +1000
2 "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 09/08/17 10:43, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 > > Also your redistributing another's package
6 > > in binary format which may not be legally allowed.
7 >
8 > Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting redistributing license-encumbered
9 > packages. Since binary packages are managed by the system
10 > administrator, not Gentoo (as a distro), it remains with the
11 > administrator to adhere to any relevant license restrictions. Plus
12 > the package manager can't tell if you're distributing binaries or not.
13
14 Sure, I was just pointing out that there maybe legal needs to prevent
15 such. Unless someone wants to circumvent. Their call but not default.
16
17 The package manager knows about fetch restricted ebuilds. It should
18 not to re-package that stuff. IMHO
21 William L. Thomson Jr.