From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: azarah@g.o
Cc: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 16:45:09
1 On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 23:08, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 02:57, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 20:26, Steven Elling wrote:
4 > > > Does portage bomb out if make.conf is not present? If so, maybe portage
5 > > > needs to be changed so that it will work without the file.
6 > >
7 > > I definitely like the idea of creating make.conf docs and a link from
8 > > the install docs. Also, why can't the portage ebuild contain a 0 byte
9 > > make.conf file? After all, the file CAN be empty and portage will still
10 > > work from the make.globals since make.conf serves no purpose but to
11 > > override the system defaults. We could include a make.conf file in the
12 > > stage tarballs with a few settings (depending on the settings of the
13 > > stage) and a comment telling the user where the docs for make.conf are
14 > > located both locally and on Gentoo.org.
15 >
16 > I really do not see how having to either:
17 >
18 > 1) Copy and paste everything
19 >
20 > 2) Type if from a printout/whatever
21 >
22 > is efficient or helps the average user? It is way easier
23 > to just uncomment and change as needed with the help, etc
24 > there in front of you.
25
26 A link from the installation docs has already proved its worth. Look at
27 the USE section of the install docs. They point to the use.xml file.
28 Why would make.conf be any harder? I also said that the defaults used
29 in building the stage would be included IN THE STAGE tarball, as it is
30 now. Only the portage ebuild would contain the "blank" make.conf. If
31 you used a pentium4 stage3 to install from, then the settings in
32 make.conf would be the USE, CHOST, and CFLAGS used in building that
33 stage and nothing more. I don't see how that makes anything harder on
34 anyone. It puts all the documentation in a single place and makes it
35 easier. As it is now the ONLY good documentation on make.conf is
36 included in make.conf. This is unfortunate, since it requires users to
37 use the slightly complex interactive feature of etc-update just to see
38 documentation changes. I find that to be counter-intuitive, especially
39 if everything were documented on gentoo.org and even in
40 /usr/share/doc/portage-<version>.
43 > What happened to CONFIG_PROTECT and you having control?
44 > Just mv the thing to make.conf.orig and edit a clean
45 > file, or if you really want it to stay the same to see
46 > what additions there is in future, leave as is, and
47 > just put a 'source /etc/make.conf.foo' in there, and
48 > add your changes to /etc/make.conf.foo.
49
50 It has nothing to do with a clean file and more to do with the ease of
51 changing make.conf and make.globals. Having the documentation for a
52 file that needs to be changed in the file itself just seems sloppy to
53 me.
54
55 > Come on guys, think what is best for the *distro* (meaning,
56 > what will work best for the other 90% of users, and not
57 > necessary for you ...).
58
59 I am thinking what is best for the distribution. I use alternate
60 methods on my machines. I speak here mostly on feedback I have gotten
61 from users I know personally and have talked to online, along with my my
62 own feelings.
65 Chris Gianelloni
66 Developer, Gentoo Linux
67 Games Team