From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:24:26
1 On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 18:43, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > What happened to CONFIG_PROTECT and you having control?
5 > > Just mv the thing to make.conf.orig and edit a clean
6 > > file, or if you really want it to stay the same to see
7 > > what additions there is in future, leave as is, and
8 > > just put a 'source /etc/make.conf.foo' in there, and
9 > > add your changes to /etc/make.conf.foo.
10 >
11 > It has nothing to do with a clean file and more to do with the ease of
12 > changing make.conf and make.globals. Having the documentation for a
13 > file that needs to be changed in the file itself just seems sloppy to
14 > me.
17 This is not the only issue - check some of my later posts.
18
19 > > Come on guys, think what is best for the *distro* (meaning,
20 > > what will work best for the other 90% of users, and not
21 > > necessary for you ...).
22 >
23 > I am thinking what is best for the distribution. I use alternate
24 > methods on my machines. I speak here mostly on feedback I have gotten
25 > from users I know personally and have talked to online, along with my my
26 > own feelings.
27
28 I will ask again - if you did not physically have to merge 10/20+ config
29 files every time, would it still be such an issue ?
30
31 As I posted in other mails - there are a few good reasons why we do
32 things as we do, and the CONFIG_EXCLUDE might be a solution to the
33 'problem' (which in my opinion is still not CONFIG_PROTECT or 100%
34 the comments in the config files, but rather the 'merge process needed
35 for config files).
40 Martin Schlemmer
41 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
42 Cape Town, South Africa