From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 04:25:06
1 +1 for at least having this discussed out in the open.
2
3 The issue of copyright did tickle my mind when I saw the headers during my
4 dev quiz.
5
6 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
7
8 > On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
9 > > On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
10 > >> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
11 > wrote:
12 > >>> In order to contribute to GNU projects, one must sign a copyright
13 > >>> assignment statement.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Gentoo doesn't have anything similar as far as I'm aware, which makes
16 > >>> me question the legitimacy of "Gentoo Foundation" copyrights.
17 > >>>
18 > >>> What is the story?
19 > >>>
20 > >>
21 > >> The story of what?
22 > >>
23 > >> Are you asking whether they're legally binding? You'd have to sue
24 > >> somebody to find out, because as far as I'm aware the matter is
25 > >> untested in court. I think you could make an argument that
26 > >> voluntarily placing that header on your work is an assignment of
27 > >> copyright. You could also argue otherwise. A court would decide who
28 > >> wins.
29 > >
30 > > I'm asking whether we're just cargo-culting it along, or if we have
31 > > (had) some kind of system in place to assign copyright. I think Ciaran
32 > > answered: we used to but not anymore.
35 > As I said, you could debate whether the present system already assigns
36 > copyright. I don't think it is ideal. It certainly isn't backed by
37 > any court decisions that I'm aware of. That doesn't necessarily mean
38 > that it wouldn't be upheld if it did go to court. There is really no
39 > way to be certain without trying it.
40 >
41 > But, it is better to rely upon methods that are already proven in
42 > court over ones that have yet to be proven. I'm not disputing that.
43 >
44 > --
45 > Rich