From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:21:31
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> In order to contribute to GNU projects, one must sign a copyright
5 >>> assignment statement.
6 >>>
7 >>> Gentoo doesn't have anything similar as far as I'm aware, which makes
8 >>> me question the legitimacy of "Gentoo Foundation" copyrights.
9 >>>
10 >>> What is the story?
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> The story of what?
14 >>
15 >> Are you asking whether they're legally binding? You'd have to sue
16 >> somebody to find out, because as far as I'm aware the matter is
17 >> untested in court. I think you could make an argument that
18 >> voluntarily placing that header on your work is an assignment of
19 >> copyright. You could also argue otherwise. A court would decide who
20 >> wins.
21 >
22 > I'm asking whether we're just cargo-culting it along, or if we have
23 > (had) some kind of system in place to assign copyright. I think Ciaran
24 > answered: we used to but not anymore.
27 As I said, you could debate whether the present system already assigns
28 copyright. I don't think it is ideal. It certainly isn't backed by
29 any court decisions that I'm aware of. That doesn't necessarily mean
30 that it wouldn't be upheld if it did go to court. There is really no
31 way to be certain without trying it.
32
33 But, it is better to rely upon methods that are already proven in
34 court over ones that have yet to be proven. I'm not disputing that.
37 Rich