From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:10:39
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3 >> In order to contribute to GNU projects, one must sign a copyright
4 >> assignment statement.
5 >>
6 >> Gentoo doesn't have anything similar as far as I'm aware, which makes
7 >> me question the legitimacy of "Gentoo Foundation" copyrights.
8 >>
9 >> What is the story?
12 > The story of what?
13 >
14 > Are you asking whether they're legally binding? You'd have to sue
15 > somebody to find out, because as far as I'm aware the matter is
16 > untested in court. I think you could make an argument that
17 > voluntarily placing that header on your work is an assignment of
18 > copyright. You could also argue otherwise. A court would decide who
19 > wins.
20
21 I'm asking whether we're just cargo-culting it along, or if we have
22 (had) some kind of system in place to assign copyright. I think Ciaran
23 answered: we used to but not anymore.