From: dams@×××.fr
To: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:49:49
1 foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net> said:
4 [...]
7 > Thanks for bringing this up again, since this was brought up months ago
8 > with the creation of the toplevel structure. Although at the time it
9 > wasn't deemed important enough to be formed at the spot.
10 >
11 > I'm all for a toplevel structure to coordinate the desktop efforts,
12 > although the interference in the projects themselves should be kept to a
13 > minimum. I see it mostly as a layer to communicate with other teams.
14
15 I totally agree with that, you found the words.
18 >> * The gentoo things that would be handeld by the desktop project :
19 >> X, KDE, gnome, other desktop environment (wmaker, rox, xfce...)
20 >> *dm (xdm, kdm, gdm, ...)
21 >
22 > To sum it up : everything non-console.
23 >
24 >> menu system (use gentoo menu system, or get the debian one)
25 >
26 > This is part of possible 'tasks' (see down), the whole discussion
27 > concerning this is still to be started as far as i am concerned.
28 >
29 >> * The tasks :
30 >> - maintain the project component
31 >
32 > obvious
33 >
34 >> - decide general guidelines to be applied on the desktop project components
35 >> (do we want DE unification and how much, look and feel, menu entries, default
36 >> desktop, gentoo control center integration in DE...)
37 >
38 > I think the other posts in this thread reflect the general and also my
39 > sentiments on this perfectly fine. We should keep it as vanilla as
40 > possible, users know how to work from there.
41
42 Maybe add a vanilla flags, that can be unset. When unset, the DE are
43 preconfigured and gentoo touched.
44
45 The pb is that you want vanilla, but you want also some core feature like
46 centralized menu system, which is not compatible. So either we decide not to
47 include such features, or to have a flag.
50 >> - write guidelines to be more (free)desktop compliant, to be used by the whole
51 >> gentoo devs for their packages.
52 >
53 > We shouldn't be compliant, we should push upstream developers to be or
54 > work on their packages being compliant. Us providing some hackish layer
55 > of compliance is a recipe for disaster. It is fighting symptoms, while
56 > you should be attacking the problem by its root. I don't see our already
57 > heavily pressured teams do all sorts of compliance work.
58 >
59 > And no, just hiring a few more people is no solution if you want to have
60 > the same quality/involvement.
61
62 That's a possibility, but that means that, as a linux distribution, we don't
63 provide additional compliance. If you keep the desktop vanilla, we don't either
64 provide additional desktop default. That can be what we want. But what will
65 provide gentoo linux, as desktop, then?
68 [...]
69
70 >> desktop may need some other part/project, like some usefull packages (menu),
71 >> configuration tools, unique control center... That's why we might begin with a
72 >> representation of what would the perfect desktop product be, and see if we have
73 >> everything we need in gentoo. If not, then we might suggest the creation of
74 >> additional projects, or inclusion of needed component.
75 >
76 > There is no perfect desktop which you can mold into an ebuild. Gentoo
77 > already provides the perfect desktop, because users can choose exactly
78 > what they want from their desktop.
79
80 I think a perfect corporate desktop would :
81
82 - be cheap
83 - be installable by not so good technical guys quickly
84 - be useable at soon as it is installed
85
86 Now if the guy has to configure each workstation, it's not very convenient...
89 dams
92 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list