From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:24:12
1 On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:09:42 +0200 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > You can do it through bashrc. But then, if this is about working
5 | > around Portage's annoying lack of sane cross compile handling, why
6 | > not put a little effort into fixing it properly rather than a lot
7 | > of effort into making the tree more complicated?
8 |
9 | Err, I think you're mixing up different things. How should portage be
10 | able to do sane cross compiling if you control the instruction sets
11 | through use flags which are blocked in profiles the build system is
12 | using?
13
14 That's just it. You shouldn't be using the wrong profile when compiling
15 things.
16
17 | In fact, moving away from use flags over to the real(TM)
18 | solution is a step towards fixing the issue. Also, it doesn't make
19 | the tree more complicated. It is far more intuitive that supported
20 | instruction sets are used if the user doesn't explicitly wish not to
21 | than having some strange use flags that don't mean what they're named
22 | like.
23
24 That's like saying "well we should just link against whatever's
25 available, it's far more intuitive than letting the user decide".
28 Ciaran McCreesh
29 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list