From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: converting copyright/license information in OpenRC
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 05:05:17
1 On 11 Dec 2015 14:16, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:37:48 -0600 William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 09:04:47PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > > > >>>>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > Well, the OpenRC project is currently inconsistent about this, so the
7 > > intention is to make it consistent.
8 > >
9 > > The .c/.h files have file-scope licenses, but that isn't true for
10 > > everything in the project.
11 > >
12 > > I am willing to make the effort to do this, I was just wondering if
13 > > there are any legal pitfalls I need to worry about.
14 > >
15 > > My theory is I can probably use git to find out who all of the authors
16 > > are, and generate an Authors list from that information and from
17 > > looking at copyright notices.
18 >
19 > One concern about this is the possibility of copied code. If OpenRC
20 > ever copied code from other BSD licensed projects, then dropping the
21 > notice from the top of the file would be a violation of the upstream
22 > license.
23
24 OpenRC isn't purely Gentoo copyright, so it's already a violation.
25 the majority of entries belong to Roy.
26 -mike