From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: converting copyright/license information in OpenRC
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 15:32:46
1 On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 12:05:07AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On 11 Dec 2015 14:16, Patrick McLean wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:37:48 -0600 William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > > On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 09:04:47PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > > > > >>>>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, William Hubbs wrote:
6 > > > >
7 > > > Well, the OpenRC project is currently inconsistent about this, so the
8 > > > intention is to make it consistent.
9 > > >
10 > > > The .c/.h files have file-scope licenses, but that isn't true for
11 > > > everything in the project.
12 > > >
13 > > > I am willing to make the effort to do this, I was just wondering if
14 > > > there are any legal pitfalls I need to worry about.
15 > > >
16 > > > My theory is I can probably use git to find out who all of the authors
17 > > > are, and generate an Authors list from that information and from
18 > > > looking at copyright notices.
19 > >
20 > > One concern about this is the possibility of copied code. If OpenRC
21 > > ever copied code from other BSD licensed projects, then dropping the
22 > > notice from the top of the file would be a violation of the upstream
23 > > license.
24 >
25 > OpenRC isn't purely Gentoo copyright, so it's already a violation.
26 > the majority of entries belong to Roy.
27
28 I have no idea what you mean by "it's already a violation", and I'm not
29 sure what Gentoo Copyright has to do with it.
30
31 Altering Copyright statements to try to claim Gentoo copyright would
32 definitely be a violation, but that's not what I'm wanting to do.
33
34 My goal is to centralize the Copyright and license information we
35 already have, as much as possible [1]. This site seems to imply that
36 moving Copyright/Author information around is legal.
37
38 William
39
40 [1] https://softwarefreedom.org/resources/2012/ManagingCopyrightInformation.html