From: Rafael Cordones Marcos <rcm@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Pablo Pita Leira <pablo.leira@×××××××××.com>, Bob Miller <kbob@××××××××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Improving Portage Watch script
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:57:05
Hi,

I want to improve the current script that generates the Portage Watch section
in GWN. The two problems I am focusing right now are:

1.- Listing the USE variables that were added or removed since a given date.

I have been looking around Portage but I cannot find any ChangeLog where I can
get this info. A /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc ChangeLog would be perfect!

2.- Differentiating between updated packages and new packages

For this I think I can manage by looking at the last entry of the ChangeLog
file and extracting the date from it. Example:
/usr/portage/app-cdr/k3b/ChangeLog

<file-contents>
[...]
*k3b-0.5.1 (1 Feb 2002)

  1 Feb 2002; G.Bevin <gbevin@g.o> ChangeLog :

[...]
</file-contents>

One more thing, are ChangeLog files in packages automagically generated from
CVS or are they hand-edited by developers? If they are hand edited then I am
going to find errors in the format. I mean that humans commit errors and, for
instance, some dev can forget to write the "*" at the begining of a ChangeLog
entry!

Thanks for your time!

/Rafa

--
Rafael Cordones Marcos
rcm@×××××××.net

"La diferencia entre una democracia y una dictadura
consiste en que en la democracia puedes votar antes
de obedecer las ordenes." -- Bukowski, C.