From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sawfish-0.38.ebuild
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:10:51
1 On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 04:40:02PM +0200, Terje Kvernes wrote:
2 > AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger) writes:
3 >
4 > > I don't think we need any other extra functionality in portage to
5 > > take care about the order of vars in USE.
6 >
7 > what you're basically saying is that it's up to the person making
8 > each build to make the choice of which lib to prioritize.
9 > personally, I find this rather icky, because it demands that the
10 > person installing the packages can't say "media(gdkpixbuf,imlib) and
11 > be sure that nothing ever needing just gdkpixbuf won't install
12 > imlib.
13
14 The problem is that as of right now, our USE variables don't express
15 preference, just whether a particular extension is acceptable or not.
16
17 There may be applications that can link to *both* gdkpixbuf and imlib. There
18 are really two easy solutions; and ebuild can prefer the more advanced
19 replacement if defined, or if there is an either/or choice (if it's not
20 possible to add support for both), we can create two ebuilds:
21
22 foo-gdkpixbuf
23 foo-imlib
24
25 The either/or option doesn't seem to happen *too* often, so this solution
26 could work too.
27
28 The harder third option is to increase the expressiveness of our USE syntax,
29 which *is* an option but I'd like to try the above solutions first. The
30 advantage to our current approach to USE is that it's quite straightforward.
31 If something is in USE, the ebuild will build-in that functionality if it
32 can. That's easy for new users to understand.
33
34 Best Regards,
37 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
38 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org