From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sawfish-0.38.ebuild
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 08:40:51
1 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger) writes:
2
3 > I don't think we need any other extra functionality in portage to
4 > take care about the order of vars in USE.
5
6 what you're basically saying is that it's up to the person making
7 each build to make the choice of which lib to prioritize.
8 personally, I find this rather icky, because it demands that the
9 person installing the packages can't say "media(gdkpixbuf,imlib) and
10 be sure that nothing ever needing just gdkpixbuf won't install
11 imlib.
12
13 the dependency is in the wrong place, it should be with the
14 maintainer of the box, not the maintainer of the package. the person
15 packing the stuff _might_ have a reason for wanting one thing, while
16 another user might need something else.
17
18 just think of a package that could select between using a kde or a
19 gnome wrapping. the packagers personal choice isn't what I want. :-)
22 Terje