From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sawfish-0.38.ebuild
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:19:18
1 Terje Kvernes wrote:
2 >
3 > AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger) writes:
4 >
5 > > I don't think we need any other extra functionality in portage to
6 > > take care about the order of vars in USE.
7 >
8 > what you're basically saying is that it's up to the person making
9 > each build to make the choice of which lib to prioritize.
10 > personally, I find this rather icky, because it demands that the
11 > person installing the packages can't say "media(gdkpixbuf,imlib) and
12 > be sure that nothing ever needing just gdkpixbuf won't install
13 > imlib.
14 >
15 > the dependency is in the wrong place, it should be with the
16 > maintainer of the box, not the maintainer of the package. the person
17 > packing the stuff _might_ have a reason for wanting one thing, while
18 > another user might need something else.
19 >
20 > just think of a package that could select between using a kde or a
21 > gnome wrapping. the packagers personal choice isn't what I want. :-)
22 >
23 Well gdkpixbuf depends on gnome-libs which depends on imlib.
24
25 achim~
26
27 > --