From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should we join the which hunt?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 09:07:41
1 220513 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Recently Debian has started to transition away from the "which" command.
3 > [1]
4
5 Do we take Debian as a role model ?
6
7 > 'which' is a non-POSIX command which prints out the location of specified
8 > executables that are in your path. Unfortunately, there are several
9 > versions of the program around which are not compatible with each other.
10 > We package the GNU version as sys-apps/which,
11 > which is in the system set since 2004.
12
13 If there is a GNU version, that would seem to be somewhat "official".
14 Also, it's been around a long time.
15
16 > Already in 2007, vapier asked developers to avoid which in ebuilds. [2]
17
18 There well mb good reasons for the devs to do that,
19 but users may have different needs or preferences.
20
21 > The replacement in most circumstances is "type -p"
22 > which is a bash builtin command.
23
24 It does appear to do the same job, but it's more difficult to remember.
25 Yes, anyone could make 'which' an alias for 'type -p'.
26
27 > So, should we join the "which hunt", with the goal
28 > of removing sys-apps/which from the system set and from stage1 ?
29 > The first step would be to identify which packages use 'which'
30 > and add it as an explicit dependency.
31 > Maybe the tinderbox could help there ?
32 > A bug for this [3] has already been filed by mgorny some time ago.
33 > Unfortunately, the command pops up in unexpected places,
34 > e.g. it appears to be an (indirect) build-time dependency of systemd. [4]
35 > [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/874049/
36 > [2] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/e04d4db72572dd5fec48e87c6b18c525
37 > [3] https://bugs.gentoo.org/646588
38 > [4] https://bugs.gentoo.org/502084
39
40 Those are a user's reactions. I trust the devs to do something sensible.
44 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
45 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
46 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca