From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should we join the which hunt?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 10:27:42
1 >>>>> On Fri, 13 May 2022, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 >> Recently Debian has started to transition away from the "which" command.
4 >> [1]
5
6 > Do we take Debian as a role model ?
7
8 No, but it is additional input. Note that our own activities [2,3]
9 started earlier than that.
10
11 >> 'which' is a non-POSIX command which prints out the location of specified
12 >> executables that are in your path. Unfortunately, there are several
13 >> versions of the program around which are not compatible with each other.
14 >> We package the GNU version as sys-apps/which,
15 >> which is in the system set since 2004.
16
17 > If there is a GNU version, that would seem to be somewhat "official".
18 > Also, it's been around a long time.
19
20 It's been around at least since the 1980s but in spite of this it was
21 never standardised. The GNU version exists since 1999 and had its last
22 release in 2015.
23
24 >> Already in 2007, vapier asked developers to avoid which in ebuilds. [2]
25
26 > There well mb good reasons for the devs to do that,
27 > but users may have different needs or preferences.
28
29 Nobody is asking to drop the sys-apps/which package, so users can
30 install it if they like the command. Gentoo is about choice, so we
31 shouldn't force installation for everybody if the package isn't needed
32 in @system. (The same applies to sys-apps/less BTW, but that's a
33 different story.)
34
35 Ulrich