From: "Peter Volkov (pva)" <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] i18n project
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:32:28
1 On Вск, 2006-06-11 at 02:16 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 15:11:50 +0200
3 > Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
4 > > b) Localization of Gentoo-developed applications (portage,
5 > > gentoolkit,...) including their manpages
6 >
7 > I don't really like this one. Documentation, sure, but for the tools
8 > themselves I think it could cause more problems than actually help.
9
10 IIUYC there are tree problems with localized portage tools: 1) for users
11 such bug reports are hard to search 2) for devs it's hard to read
12 localized bug reports 3) "Overtranslation" for all it's hard to
13 understand. Right?
14
15 1,2): While generally I agree that output of build process should be in
16 "C" locale at least the following line should be translated on all
17 possible languages:
18 !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call
19 stack if relevant.
20
21 Everybody will benefit from translation of this message. ;)
22
23 3) Bad translation is "just another bug" that should be fixed. Nothing
24 in reality can be done without errors. But have this stoped anybody?
25
26 Peter.