From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:26:20
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > * What generation looks like.
3
4 Mostly implementation detail? Somebody seems to have ideas there and I
5 like to heard ideas from others as well.
6
7 > * How to select which ebuilds to trigger generation for.
8
9 I'm fond of sets and I'd extend maint to be feeded to sets other than
10 world and all.
11
12 > * When specifically to trigger generation.
13
14 User decision or triggered by sync depending on a FEATURE.
15
16 > * Whether generation failure is possible, and what happens if it is.
17
18 I could think easily that such thing could happen (no network is a
19 possibility)
20
21 > * What to do when generated information is required but not available.
22
23 Consider the ebuild corrupted or do not generate it.
24
25 > * The security implications of the previous point.
26
27 None?
28
29 > * What the impact upon upstream servers is, if any.
30
31 Shared with glep 54
32
33 > * How generation fits in with users doing system updates.
34
35 Orthogonal
36
37 > * How generation fits in with the highly differing frequencies of
38 > upstream updates.
39
40 Being user driven isn't an issue at all.
41
42 > * How generation can be made to fit in without changes to the version
43 > spec, whilst still 'making sense' and doing the right thing.
44
45 Discussion going on in this thread, so far Coldwind did quite well to
46 pointing actual cases present in portage already, discussion on them
47 should help sorting out issues.
48
49 Using live sources is a security and stability concern by itself and by
50 accepting that you are at the very end of the bleeding edge you
51 acknowledge that you are experimenting.
52
53 lu
57 Luca Barbato
58 Gentoo Council Member