From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:34:11
1 On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:25:53 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > * What generation looks like.
5 >
6 > Mostly implementation detail? Somebody seems to have ideas there and
7 > I like to heard ideas from others as well.
8
9 It's not a detail. It's extremely important, and we can't discuss this
10 sanely until we have detailed proposals for this.
11
12 > > * How to select which ebuilds to trigger generation for.
13 >
14 > I'm fond of sets and I'd extend maint to be feeded to sets other than
15 > world and all.
16
17 Again, details.
18
19 > > * When specifically to trigger generation.
20 >
21 > User decision or triggered by sync depending on a FEATURE.
22
23 Again, details. This one *really* needs to be worked out, since it's
24 getting in the way of discussing other implications.
25
26 > > * The security implications of the previous point.
27 >
28 > None?
29
30 Well, generated revision numbers may have to be stored somewhere.
31 Should a normal user be able to force a generation? If not, this means
32 having to generate templates at sync time for every scm package in the
33 tree, which in turn means scanning every ebuild in the tree.
34
35 > > * What the impact upon upstream servers is, if any.
36 >
37 > Shared with glep 54
38
39 GLEP 54 doesn't use upstream scm revision information at all. Are you
40 definitely saying that your proposal will not be tied in to upstream
41 revisions in any way?
44 Ciaran McCreesh