From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:05:04
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:35:36 -0400
3 > Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 07/27/12 16:16, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > No user will be happy with whatever we decide to use as a default.
8 >>
9 >> The defaults should be what's best for the most people, with a bias
10 >> towards safety. Why don't we just take a survey and choose the most
11 >> common utf8 response?
12 >
13 > How can you take a survey like that? How will you ensure it actually
14 > hits the majority? How will you define the majority?
15
16 Serverside script on gentoo.org. Push out a news item with the URL and
17 a last-call date. Tabulate the results, using browser fingerprints to
18 weed out the bulk of duplicates.
21 :wq