From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:52:37
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 07/30/2012 11:04 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
5 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:35:36 -0400 Michael Orlitzky
8 >> <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
9 >>
10 >>> On 07/27/12 16:16, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
11 >>>>
12 >>>> No user will be happy with whatever we decide to use as a
13 >>>> default.
14 >>>
15 >>> The defaults should be what's best for the most people, with a
16 >>> bias towards safety. Why don't we just take a survey and choose
17 >>> the most common utf8 response?
18 >>
19 >> How can you take a survey like that? How will you ensure it
20 >> actually hits the majority? How will you define the majority?
21 >
22 > Serverside script on gentoo.org. Push out a news item with the URL
23 > and a last-call date. Tabulate the results, using browser
24 > fingerprints to weed out the bulk of duplicates.
27 I still advocate continuing how we have been.
28
29 However, the survey should be one question: What is the output of
30 `locale' on your workstation/desktop/laptop?
31
32 The less painful we make the survey, the more respondents we'll get,
33 and the less biased the results will be. Additionally, it makes the
36 Servers are excluded because special things take place there that may
37 not actually line up with what the user prefers.
38
39 If it turns out that C or POSIX is the most common response, we should
40 then default the locale to en_US.UTF-8 if we really want to default to
41 a UTF-8 setting. The reason being it makes sense to have the default
42 locale set to the country of origin, which in our case is the United
43 States.
44
45 Yes, it may irk those whose native locale is not en_US.UTF-8, but like
46 I said, no one will be happy. Except for those whose native locale
47 happens to be the default.
48
49 Start at a default, doesn't really matter which as long as the default
50 is the lingua franca of international business, and instruct the user,
51 as we already do, how to change it during the setup.
52
53 - --
54 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
55 Gentoo Linux Developer
56 Email : titanofold@g.o
57 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
58 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0