From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: Yannick Koehler <yannick.koehler@××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more precise dependencies
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:48:15
1 On Thursday 19 Sep 2002 2:18 pm, Yannick Koehler wrote:
2 > Is there plan to based the dependencies of portage on the real files
3 > required instead of other packages required?
4
5 I dont understand why that would be a good idea. (and it is one thing I
6 dislike about rpm)
7
8 Suppose an ebuild is marked as being dependant on file. If a user doesnt have
9 that file, how is he supposed to know which package to emerge to create it? I
10 dont think he has enough information to work that out for himself.
11
12 Does the ebuild know which packages can create that file? if so, why not just
13 create a dependency on that package?