From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@×××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: yannick.koehler@××××××××.com, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more precise dependencies
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:08:03
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:48:14 +0100
3 Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > Suppose an ebuild is marked as being dependant on file. If a user
6 > doesnt have that file, how is he supposed to know which package to
7 > emerge to create it? I dont think he has enough information to work
8 > that out for himself.
9 >
10 > Does the ebuild know which packages can create that file? if so, why
11 > not just create a dependency on that package?
12
13 That is a better idea, but this needent be in portage itself, nor in the
14 packages, but should be made part of lintool or repoman to check the
15 packages integrity and dependency-trees.
16
17 But.. this malworks with USE flags for automatical deps.. ever stop to
18 consider how it would be in such cases? ;)
21 //Spider
25 begin .signature
26 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
28 end