From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eclass: autotools-multilib-minimal
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 16:59:16
1 On 24/02/13 17:53, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >> I still try to use plain ebuilds without
3 >> inheritting autotools-utils.eclass as I usually don't need it, probably
4 >> others do the same and refuse to have to inherit it only for multilib
5 >> support :/ How do you plan to solve this problem?
6 >
7 > You generally have two options on doing multilib builds: either using
8 > out-of-source builds or in-source builds. If you decide on the latter,
9 > you unnecessarily waste users' time and disk space to create two more
10 > copies of sources. I don't think we should go this way.
11 >
12 > If you decide on out-of-source builds, you basically need proper
13 > src_{configure,compile,test,install} and that's what autotools-utils
14 > does. Plus:
15 >
16 > - patch applying and autoreconf in src_prepare() -- which are
17 > completely optional, you are free to write your own src_prepare().
18 > If you wanted to apply patches by hand, you'd need to write
19 > src_prepare() anyway.
20
21 It's that "Plus" part that is my problem with autotools-multilib.eclass
22 currently, it adds EXPORT_FUNCTIONS of src_prepare() from
23 autotools-utils.eclass which is irrelevant to the autotools-multilib.eclass
24 adds just another eclass/phase function to worry about for inherit order
27 > - prune_libtool_files in src_install() which most people want to do
28 > anyway, so that doesn't hurt -- and the pkg-config dep is going to
29 > be removed, by the patch I sent already.
30
31 but lacks a way to pass arguments to prune_libtool_files, like --all,
32 since prune_libtool_files isn't that smart it gets it right everytime
33 i propably prefer to stick to manually calling it with or without --all
34 and well, this is not related to the multilib conversion so it shouldn't
35 be executed anyway
36
37 > - adding libtool args for shared/static libs if IUSE=static-libs --
38 > which I wanted to remove but people considered it useful.
39
40 if it's not related to the multilib conversion, it shouldn't be executed...
43 >> I would also like to hear why that people refuses to use
44 >> autotools-utils.eclass... because I don't have a strong opinion on this
45 >> topic
46 >
47 > Well, the major argument was similar to yours -- why we should use
48 > an eclass if default PMS functions work. But in the multilib case, they
49 > do not work by design anymore.
52 src_prepare() seems to be adequate from PMS for the multilib conversion