From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pacho@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eclass: autotools-multilib-minimal
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:52:58
1 On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 16:12:18 +0100
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > El dom, 24-02-2013 a las 15:57 +0100, Michał Górny escribió:
5 > [...]
6 > > > d) the previous point will also allow to convert go-mono.eclass packages
7 > > > without introducing yet another eclass for that
8 > >
9 > > So you're introducing a hacky eclass just because you're too lazy to
10 > > convert go-mono packages properly and too impatient to let others do
11 > > the work properly for you?
12 >
13 > Would be nice to know what autotools-utils.eclass is doing differently
14 > that is showing this problem with go-mono.eclass packages :/
15
16 I already told that I'm going to look at this but I have too much work
17 to do right now so it's going to take a longer while.
18
19 > Only one question, what is the reason for us having base.eclass and
20 > autotools-utils.eclass?
21
22 I think that base.eclass is silently intended for removal at some point
23 in the future. While we're here, we should probably mark it deprecated.
24
25 autotools-utils does a bit more -- especially by using out-of-source
26 builds. The major reason to use autotools-utils so far was to support
27 those builds.
28
29 Believe me or not, the day I took over the maintenance of it I seen
30 the opportunity to use out-of-source builds for multilib. Today, both
31 python-r1 & multilib-build were specifically designed to allow using
32 out-of-source builds with minimal effort.
33
34 > I still try to use plain ebuilds without
35 > inheritting autotools-utils.eclass as I usually don't need it, probably
36 > others do the same and refuse to have to inherit it only for multilib
37 > support :/ How do you plan to solve this problem?
38
39 You generally have two options on doing multilib builds: either using
40 out-of-source builds or in-source builds. If you decide on the latter,
41 you unnecessarily waste users' time and disk space to create two more
42 copies of sources. I don't think we should go this way.
43
44 If you decide on out-of-source builds, you basically need proper
45 src_{configure,compile,test,install} and that's what autotools-utils
46 does. Plus:
47
48 - prune_libtool_files in src_install() which most people want to do
49 anyway, so that doesn't hurt -- and the pkg-config dep is going to
50 be removed, by the patch I sent already.
51
52 - patch applying and autoreconf in src_prepare() -- which are
53 completely optional, you are free to write your own src_prepare().
54 If you wanted to apply patches by hand, you'd need to write
55 src_prepare() anyway.
56
57 - adding libtool args for shared/static libs if IUSE=static-libs --
58 which I wanted to remove but people considered it useful.
59
60 > I would also like to hear why that people refuses to use
61 > autotools-utils.eclass... because I don't have a strong opinion on this
62 > topic
63
64 Well, the major argument was similar to yours -- why we should use
65 an eclass if default PMS functions work. But in the multilib case, they
66 do not work by design anymore.
69 Best regards,
70 Michał Górny