From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:19:25
1 On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:49:31 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | No need for a glep as far as portage support goes anymore than Ciaran
4 | needs a glep to change or add syntax highlighting in vim.
5
6 The difference is, Vim syntax scripts are well established, and there
7 aren't any design issues to solve. Multiple repository support clearly
8 *isn't* obvious, because the solution you've described is the wrong one.
9
10 | There doesn't need to be a debate. This whole proposal doesn't care
11 | about portage compatibility whatsoever and it's exactly this style of
12 | thinking that slows down portage development (which everybody loves
13 | to complain about so much).
14
15 Sure it does. It cares about the way Portage is currently, and it cares
16 about any reasonable future Portage changes.
17
18 | As I said already, there will immediately be a bug asking for overlay
19 | support. Portage already supports multiple in a form whether anybody
20 | likes it or not. How they are supported and how they will change
21 | should be of no concern to the glep. What should be of concern is
22 | establishing a robust API between the readers and portage such that
23 | future changes won't cause breakage.
24
25 Ok, give me a list of every single future enhancement to Portage and
26 I'll make sure the GLEP will be compatible with them.
29 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
30 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
31 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm