From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:55:07
1 On Monday 12 December 2005 18:30, Duncan wrote:
2 > For example, if repository-id forms a part of the path and we define path
3 > parsing now, then we are effectively defining legal characters for
4 > repository-id now.
5
6 This is only of concern to portage developers.
7
8 > That's an entirely different glep, far out of scope and
9 > reaching into other people's territory, limiting how that might be
10 > implemented by defining a portion of the id-scope in an entirely unrelated
11 > glep.
12
13 No need for a glep as far as portage support goes anymore than Ciaran needs a
14 glep to change or add syntax highlighting in vim.
15
16 > Given how heated I've seen GLEP discussion get (and I'm not saying that's
17 > /bad/, just a fact), I really can't blame Ciaran for attempting to keep
18 > the scope of the proposal, and therefore the debate, down to exactly what
19 > he's aiming to accomplish, without ending up getting into an entirely
20 > /different/ debate about how he's limiting the future flexibility of the
21 > multiple repo implementation.
22
23 There doesn't need to be a debate. This whole proposal doesn't care about
24 portage compatibility whatsoever and it's exactly this style of thinking that
25 slows down portage development (which everybody loves to complain about so
26 much).
27
28 > Once there's a concrete proposal there to work with, then and only then,
29 > he's saying (from my viewpoint), is it appropriate for consideration in
30 > relation to the news proposal. Don't unnecessarily tie the two together,
31 > complicating life for both. Let each be argued on its merits separately,
32 > and when/if multiple repo is actually close enough to deployment that
33 > there's some actual rules to work with, /then/ worry about fixing this to
34 > match.
35
36 As I said already, there will immediately be a bug asking for overlay support.
37 Portage already supports multiple in a form whether anybody likes it or not.
38 How they are supported and how they will change should be of no concern to the
39 glep. What should be of concern is establishing a robust API between the
40 readers and portage such that future changes won't cause breakage.
43 Jason Stubbs
44 --
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list