From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Trustless Infrastructure
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 18:01:47
1 On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 7:21 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > W dniu pon, 02.07.2018 o godzinie 19∶01 +0200, użytkownik Jason A.
4 > Donenfeld napisał:
5 > > On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 6:58 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > - Have verification use a keyring of all Gentoo developers, with a
7 > > > > manual prompt to add new Gentoo developers to it.
8 > > >
9 > > > How are you going to distribute this keyring, and how are you going to
10 > > > protect attacker from injecting malicious key into it?
11 > >
12 > > Same model as Arch.
15 > Please write it down here instead of expecting us to figure it out.
16 > It's your proposal, and it should be complete.
17
18 I believe Arch's system relies on some core developers having master
19 keys and the revocation certificates being distributed amongst them:
20
21 https://www.archlinux.org/master-keys/
22
23 Then all other developers are signed from there in one way or another.
24 It's kind of a modified web of trust.
25
26 I don't know whether or not this is necessarily the best model to
27 emulate -- perhaps we could do better, for example -- but it does seem
28 like a good starting point. Instead we might prefer a single hardware
29 device somewhere.
30
31 The idea would be -- portage fetches an updated "key list" from
32 somewhere. This new list of keys is considered if it is: a) signed by
33 the master keys and b) internally fulfills some WoT topological
34 requirements. Then, if these pass, it is up to the user to then
35 manually [y/N] the addition of new keys to the key ring. If they
36 suspect a particular developer has bad security practices, for
37 example, they could trivially [N] it, and then not have tree files he
38 touched copied from the shadow location to the portage directory.