From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Trustless Infrastructure
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 20:14:38
1 W dniu pon, 02.07.2018 o godzinie 20∶01 +0200, użytkownik Jason A.
2 Donenfeld napisał:
3 > On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 7:21 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > W dniu pon, 02.07.2018 o godzinie 19∶01 +0200, użytkownik Jason A.
6 > > Donenfeld napisał:
7 > > > On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 6:58 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > > - Have verification use a keyring of all Gentoo developers, with a
9 > > > > > manual prompt to add new Gentoo developers to it.
10 > > > >
11 > > > > How are you going to distribute this keyring, and how are you going to
12 > > > > protect attacker from injecting malicious key into it?
13 > > >
14 > > > Same model as Arch.
15 > > >
16 > >
17 > > Please write it down here instead of expecting us to figure it out.
18 > > It's your proposal, and it should be complete.
19 >
20 > I believe Arch's system relies on some core developers having master
21 > keys and the revocation certificates being distributed amongst them:
22 >
23 > https://www.archlinux.org/master-keys/
24 >
25 > Then all other developers are signed from there in one way or another.
26 > It's kind of a modified web of trust.
27 >
28 > I don't know whether or not this is necessarily the best model to
29 > emulate -- perhaps we could do better, for example -- but it does seem
30 > like a good starting point. Instead we might prefer a single hardware
31 > device somewhere.
32 >
33 > The idea would be -- portage fetches an updated "key list" from
34 > somewhere. This new list of keys is considered if it is: a) signed by
35 > the master keys and b) internally fulfills some WoT topological
36 > requirements. Then, if these pass, it is up to the user to then
37 > manually [y/N] the addition of new keys to the key ring. If they
38 > suspect a particular developer has bad security practices, for
39 > example, they could trivially [N] it, and then not have tree files he
40 > touched copied from the shadow location to the portage directory.
41
42 I'm afraid that in order to convince me you need to have a clear, well-
43 defined model that improves security over the current solution.
44
45 In other words, I see no purpose in adding a lot of complexity in order
46 to shift the weakest link from one Infra machine handling the signing to
47 another single point of failure in distributing the keys.
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny