From: Eldad Zack <eldad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keywording log
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 17:28:07
1 On Saturday 06 November 2004 21:13, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > On Saturday 06 November 2004 07:34, Eldad Zack wrote:
3 > > > It's called ChangeLog. Everyone except vapier uses it.
4 > > Somehow I suspected this will be your reply :)
5 > > I meant something that can be ACURATLY PARSABLE. (hint: Changelog isn't)
6 > It is, at least supposed to. This very point (the parsability of
7 > ChangeLogs) was discussed already some time ago and that was the very
8 > reason we have ChangeLog format as we have it now. We are even supposed to
9 > use echangelog for still the same purpose :), or be very accurate when we
10 > hand-edit it (ensure that you maintain formatting!).
11
12 No problem with echangelog: the problem is that if I want to find out WHEN was
13 an ebuild keyworded ~alpha or stable on sparc, I can't tell.
14 Except reading the ChangeLog.
15 But I'd like to be able to have a QA tool to do this for me.
16 Just look at aliz's script: The "age" of the ebuild is incorrect in some
17 cases:
18 Say I have a package in portage for a year without a change.
19 Then someone marks it ~amd64 - it catches it as if it is ~amd64 for a year.
20 Not reliable at all.
21
22 > Thus it does not make sense to create a new file that would be a subset of
23 > ChangeLog. Realistically it will end up no more parsable than ChangeLogs
24 > now. In other words wy don't we fix/finish work on what is already accepted
25 > solution instead of making more decisions and ignoring them later..
26
27 I would actually be abit against using yet-another-file to describe it, and it
28 would makes more sense to extend metadata for this purpose.
29 ekeyword can be modified to write the data.
30
31 > Oh, you can also use "cvs log". Sometimes (not that rarely in fact) it
32 > gives you more comments than ChangeLog.
33
34 Again, unreliable. Everyone punches variations of what occurs to them in that
35 moment.
38 Eldad Zack <eldad@g.o>
39 Key/Fingerprint at pgp.mit.edu, ID 0x96EA0A93