From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Keeping older versions around
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 05:47:22
1 On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:17:48 -0600
2 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 21:33 Sat 28 Jan , Ryan Hill wrote:
5 > > I've run into this three times today, so I'm a little grumpy. When
6 > > you bump to a new ~arch version, please consider keeping at least
7 > > one previous ~arch version around, so if people run into major
8 > > issues they can at lease try the previously installed version to
9 > > determine if it's your package at fault. Recent version bumps to
10 > > two libraries have completely trashed a package I maintain, and the
11 > > only option for my users is downgrading them to stable, which
12 > > requires downgrading several other libraries. In both cases, the
13 > > previous ~arch version, which worked fine, was removed.
14 > >
15 > > Personally I always try to keep two versions in ~arch and one
16 > > stable, excepting security or other major bugs that render an older
17 > > version useless.
18 >
19 > Agreed with a slight modification — once you've kept the old
20 > {stable,~arch} version around for a reasonable amount of time (say 30
21 > days), you should be safe pulling it.
22
23 As a user, I'd very much like that to be policy. It would remove the
24 main reason I stay away from ~ versions, so I'd use more of them and
25 file more (hopefully useful) bug reports.