From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keeping older versions around
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 05:19:09
1 On 21:33 Sat 28 Jan , Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > I've run into this three times today, so I'm a little grumpy. When you bump
3 > to a new ~arch version, please consider keeping at least one previous ~arch
4 > version around, so if people run into major issues they can at lease try the
5 > previously installed version to determine if it's your package at fault.
6 > Recent version bumps to two libraries have completely trashed a package I
7 > maintain, and the only option for my users is downgrading them to stable,
8 > which requires downgrading several other libraries. In both cases, the
9 > previous ~arch version, which worked fine, was removed.
10 >
11 > Personally I always try to keep two versions in ~arch and one stable,
12 > excepting security or other major bugs that render an older version useless.
13
14 Agreed with a slight modification — once you've kept the old
15 {stable,~arch} version around for a reasonable amount of time (say 30
16 days), you should be safe pulling it.
19 Thanks,
20 Donnie
21
22 Donnie Berkholz