From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: guidline to set a timeline of removal of ebuild from stable tree
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:59:17
1 cilly <cilly@××××××××××.nu> posted
2 4FA373CA-773E-4390-BD91-70F87510D6D9@××××××××××.nu, excerpted below, on
3 Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:59:42 +0200:
4
5 > On Jun 12, 2007, at 12:53 PM, cilly wrote:
6 >
7 >> Of course, there are bugs in every version. Sometimes a user must be
8 >> able to choose which bug is more problematic, i.e. the bug in the newer
9 >> ebuild which makes the package unusable for them or the older bug which
10 >> has a security issue the users are aware of but not present, i.e.
11 >> prevented by firewall. A timeline of two weeks would allow the user to
12 >> easily downgrade and if necessary put the ebuild in overlay.
13 >
14 > Additional:
15 >
16 > Sometimes the chance for the users to place the ebuild comfortably into
17 > overlay is simply taken, since the ebuild has been removed and doesn't
18 > exist after a sync anymore.
19
20 Keeping this short since the user list would be more appropriate for this
21 sort of thing, but I've not seen it mentioned in the thread yet.
22
23 That's one of several reasons I find FEATURES=buildpkg so useful. It is
24 IMO the most under-publicized great feature of portage. =8^) Really.
25 Read about it, then try it for awhile, and if you don't agree, look in
26 the forums or ask on users for some hints on the troubleshooting and
27 rescue methods it makes possible or much easier. (Specific hint for this
28 thread, the ebuild is tacked onto the end of the tar.bz2-ed compressed
29 package. That's been useful to me a couple times.)
30
31 If people only knew some of the great features portage already has, the
32 wouldn't keep asking for them. =8^) Features=buildpkg is one such
33 feature.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list