From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:22:14
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > Now, we can definitely use help in testing the snapshot. We're going to
4 > be announcing a new round of "Release Testers" for 2007.0 once we get
5 > ramped up into the release cycle. I am going to be working with the
6 > rest of the Release Engineering team to try to come up with some testing
7 > methodologies for people to use when testing, as well as a standard
8 > report for successes and failures.
9 >
10 Well I volunteer for one. I'm guessing you can get someone to post to the
11 forums as and when you're ready to get more volunteers ;)
12
13 >> >> Wrt security updates, is it possible to tie into GLSAs so that we
14 >> >> could automate updating packages that need it? By updating I mean
15 >> >> adding the ebuilds and any dependencies (or dependants that might
16 >> >> require updating.)
17 >> >
18 >> > What were you expecting that we would do?
19 >> >
20 >> Lol; exactly that. I guess I was asking how difficult it is to automate
21 >> the process.
22 >>
23 >> Although Andrew wrote that he didn't think it was necessarily the best
24 >> idea. Why is that?
25 >
26 > Well, these sort of things are hard to automate, for one. Second, if
27 > we're trying to produce a quality product, we want to have some checks
28 > in place prior to updates hitting the world. Having a set of human eyes
29 > helps.
30 >
31 I totally understand the process point in terms of QA. As for automation,
32 isn't there an existing system used to process security bugs?
33
34 >> > "or a vulnerable package's dependencies"
35 >> >
36 >> Sure, if the update meant the dependencies needed updating too. Again,
37 >> that'd need automating, so we're talking about checking the tree in both
38 >> directions (dependencies and dependants in my terms, sorry if I'm using
39 >> the words wrongly.)
40 >
41 > Why does it need automating? We generally don't get more than 10 or so
42 > GLSA a week. Even doing everything by hand, this would be a very
43 > minimal workload to keep updated.
44 >
45 I didn't know the frequency of GLSAs. According to the other thread, not all
46 security bugs warrant an advisory. In any event, I don't see why we
47 shouldn't automate it while we can to save us the tedious workload later.
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list