From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:32:37
1 On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 07:23 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
2 > >> Well count me in as a volunteer to help set this up and maintain an x86
3 > >> release. I'm a pretty good coder if that helps.
4 > >
5 > > There wouldn't be an "x86 release" or anything. It would be the whole
6 > > thing. All or nothing.
7 > >
8 > I hear you- it's the tree that's being released. I guess x86 is the most
9 > common architecture anyway, so testers for it aren't gonna be hard to find.
10
11 Actually, it depends on what you're testing. For x86, there's much more
12 hardware to test, so there's always some problem which couldn't be
13 tested for before-hand. When it comes to software, it's usually easier
14 to test for, so it depends on the package quite a bit.
15
16 Now, we can definitely use help in testing the snapshot. We're going to
17 be announcing a new round of "Release Testers" for 2007.0 once we get
18 ramped up into the release cycle. I am going to be working with the
19 rest of the Release Engineering team to try to come up with some testing
20 methodologies for people to use when testing, as well as a standard
21 report for successes and failures.
22
23 > >> Wrt security updates, is it possible to tie into GLSAs so that we could
24 > >> automate updating packages that need it? By updating I mean adding the
25 > >> ebuilds and any dependencies (or dependants that might require updating.)
26 > >
27 > > What were you expecting that we would do?
28 > >
29 > Lol; exactly that. I guess I was asking how difficult it is to automate the
30 > process.
31 >
32 > Although Andrew wrote that he didn't think it was necessarily the best idea.
33 > Why is that?
34
35 Well, these sort of things are hard to automate, for one. Second, if
36 we're trying to produce a quality product, we want to have some checks
37 in place prior to updates hitting the world. Having a set of human eyes
38 helps.
39
40 > > "or a vulnerable package's dependencies"
41 > >
42 > Sure, if the update meant the dependencies needed updating too. Again,
43 > that'd need automating, so we're talking about checking the tree in both
44 > directions (dependencies and dependants in my terms, sorry if I'm using the
45 > words wrongly.)
46
47 Why does it need automating? We generally don't get more than 10 or so
48 GLSA a week. Even doing everything by hand, this would be a very
49 minimal workload to keep updated.
52 Chris Gianelloni
53 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
54 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
55 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
56 Gentoo Foundation