From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 07:25:42
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > It would be much better to simply use what we currently have,
4 > though. Honestly, I was pursuing this with Infra a few months back, and
5 > have since dropped it, due to time constraints. I plan on picking it
6 > back up, as I said, so I don't know what is necessary at this point.
7 >
8 Makes sense.
9
10 >> > Now, the release trees are non-moving. The 2007.0-release tree is
11 >> > *always* the 2007.0-release tree for as long as we decide to support
12 >> > it. Likely, this support period would begin as a single release and get
13 >> > extended as volunteers came around to support it. New releases get
14 >> > their own tree.
15 >> >
16 >> Well count me in as a volunteer to help set this up and maintain an x86
17 >> release. I'm a pretty good coder if that helps.
18 >
19 > There wouldn't be an "x86 release" or anything. It would be the whole
20 > thing. All or nothing.
21 >
22 I hear you- it's the tree that's being released. I guess x86 is the most
23 common architecture anyway, so testers for it aren't gonna be hard to find.
24
25 >> > Users who want to use the current portage tree get what they want.
26 >> > Users who want a more stable tree get what they want. Basically,
27 >> > everyone (hopefully) is happy, or at least as happy as we can feasibly
28 >> > make them.
29 >> >
30 >> This all sounds great. Respect for the work you've already put in.
31 >
32 > Well, Andrew Gaffney really helped out, as he's been doing the python
33 > work to utilize portage to get the proper information to strip the tree.
34 > Since these scripts were originally written and subsequently abandoned,
35 > they've needed a little work. Andrew and I are working on this now to
36 > try to get everything back to working order.
37 >
38 Well can I take the opportunity to thank you both then? It's clearly
39 something with interest, as you mentioned.
40
41 >> From your post we need to add:
42 >> > - strip all USE flags that aren't used from use.mask (per-profile)
43 >> > - strip all packages that aren't available from package.mask
44 >> > (per-profile)
45 >>
46 >> What language is the script implemented in?
47 >
48 [Andrew Gaffney wrote:]
49 > The current script is actually 2 scripts: a python script that I wrote
50 > that interfaces with the portage API and a bash script that wolf31o2 wrote
51 > that takes the output from my script and does the cleanup.
52 >
53 > Last night, with the help of ferringb, I started working on a replacement
54 > script that uses the pkgcore API. The portage-based script takes quite a
55 > while to run, and gets it wrong if there are any p.mask'd stable packages
56 > on any arch or other weird things. The pkgcore-based script actually uses
57 > the profiles properly and runs over the entire tree with all the "stable"
58 > profiles (according to profiles.desc) in 1m1.869s (on my box). I'll
59 > probably end up combining the scripts and doing the cleanup in python to
60 > make things easier.
61 Excellent; pkgcore really sounds great- is there any possibility that it'll
62 become the new portage?
63
64 >> Wrt security updates, is it possible to tie into GLSAs so that we could
65 >> automate updating packages that need it? By updating I mean adding the
66 >> ebuilds and any dependencies (or dependants that might require updating.)
67 >
68 > What were you expecting that we would do?
69 >
70 Lol; exactly that. I guess I was asking how difficult it is to automate the
71 process.
72
73 Although Andrew wrote that he didn't think it was necessarily the best idea.
74 Why is that?
75
76 >> > No version changes on any packages, except those which are necessary
77 >> > due to a security violation, or a vulnerable package's dependencies.
78 >> >
79 >> I could imagine a situation where a dependant package (ie one using the
80 >> package updated) would also require an update. It'd be rare though, so I
81 >> guess it wouldn't need automating.
82 >
83 > "or a vulnerable package's dependencies"
84 >
85 Sure, if the update meant the dependencies needed updating too. Again,
86 that'd need automating, so we're talking about checking the tree in both
87 directions (dependencies and dependants in my terms, sorry if I'm using the
88 words wrongly.)
89
90 > One thing that I am working on doing with agaffney is building more and
91 > more automated systems for doing testing. We have our Release
92 > Engineering build box doing weekly builds of all of the stages from
93 > scratch for i686. I plan on doing the same for i586/no-nptl, to cover
94 > that facet, as well as amd64. Currently, I am testing against the
95 > dev/2007.0 profile, but plan on testing against dev/2007.0/desktop and
96 > dev/2007.0/server in addition to the dev/2007.0 profile.
97 >
98 > I will also be adding a test suite on my Alpha and PPC machines at home.
99 > Aside from this, I will be running catalyst tinderbox builds on at least
100 > x86/amd64 for many packages that aren't included in the LiveCD/LiveDVD
101 > sets. At some point, I'll likely be asking for suggestions on packages
102 > to add to this testing.
103 >
104 This all sounds wicked. The more automation the better.
107 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list