From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Andreas K." <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: binhost@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 09:18:04
1 On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 19:51 +0100, Lars Wendler wrote:
2 > On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 19:57:48 +0200 Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi all,
5 > >
6 > > I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
7 > >
8 > > "The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable,
9 > > precompiled packages for a subset of configurations, via central
10 > > binary package hosting. Currently we are still in the conceptual
11 > > planning stage. "
12 > >
13 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
14 > >
15 > > If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the
16 > > wiki page.
17 > >
18 > > Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central
19 > > point of the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a
20 > > tinderbox). I'm more concerned about
21 > > * what configurations should we use
22 > > * what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g.
23 > > binpkg signing and verification)
24 > > * how should hosting look like
25 > > * and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into
26 > > production"
27 > > * ...
28 > >
29 > > Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
30 > >
31 > > Cheers,
32 > > Andreas
35 > It would be great to improve portage speed with handling binpkgs. I
36 > already have my own binhost for a couple of Gentoo systems and even
37 > though these systems don't have to compile anything themselves,
38 > installing ~100 to ~200 binpkgs takes way more than an hour of
39 > installation time. Arch Linux' pacman only takes a fraction of this
40 > time for the very same task.
41 > I know that I compare apples with pears here but even reducing the
42 > current portage time by 50% would be a huge improvement.
43
44 Is that really a problem? For me, Portage takes about an hour just to
45 do the dependency processing these days. In fact, building from sources
46 is now faster than dependency calculations.
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny