From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Looking for a generic solution to non-USE-conditional circular deps
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 06:34:39
1 Dnia 2015-04-13, o godz. 06:36:44
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> napisał(a):
3
4 > Kent Fredric posted on Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:09:38 +0000 as excerpted:
5 >
6 > > On 02:36, Sun, 12/04/2015 Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
7 > > wrote:
10 > >>> build - !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used
11 > >>> for creating build images and the first half of bootstrapping
12 > >>> [make stage1]
13 > >>>
14 > >>> bootstrap - !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!,
15 > >>> used during original system bootstrapping [make stage2]
16 > >>>
17 > >>> However, since both are marked for 'internal use only', I don't think
18 > >>> it's a good idea to use them here. So I guess we need a new flag.
19 > >>> Does anyone have suggestions how to name it?
20 > >>
21 > >> Incidentally, if those were all migrated to USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN, the dire
22 > >> warnings wouldn't need to be so visible...
23 > >
24 > > Now if only anyone would remember what these were intended for?
25 > >
26 > > Maybe we're just trying to re-invent the wheel...
27 > >
28 > > And it would be nice if the solution we use doesn't end up being like
29 > > the very warty USE=test flag.
30 > >
31 > > We can make it a first class mechanism without having to tell users
32 > > "don't use this", so why not.
33 > >
34 > > Of course, doing it right may require going through EAPI changes…
35 >
36 > What about "initial-build" for the flag name, and making it part of the
37 > next EAPI, such that PMs know how to handle it without involving the user
38 > having to set it, and indeed, actually ignore the flag (as a masked flag)
39 > in normal operation if the user /does/ set it?
40
41 How about we stop inventing magical flag names? We have enough mess
42 with USE=test already...
45 Best regards,
46 Michał Górny