From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Looking for a generic solution to non-USE-conditional circular deps
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 06:37:00
1 Kent Fredric posted on Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:09:38 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 02:36, Sun, 12/04/2015 Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
4 > wrote:
7 >>> build - !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used
8 >>> for creating build images and the first half of bootstrapping
9 >>> [make stage1]
10 >>>
11 >>> bootstrap - !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!,
12 >>> used during original system bootstrapping [make stage2]
13 >>>
14 >>> However, since both are marked for 'internal use only', I don't think
15 >>> it's a good idea to use them here. So I guess we need a new flag.
16 >>> Does anyone have suggestions how to name it?
17 >>
18 >> Incidentally, if those were all migrated to USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN, the dire
19 >> warnings wouldn't need to be so visible...
20 >
21 > Now if only anyone would remember what these were intended for?
22 >
23 > Maybe we're just trying to re-invent the wheel...
24 >
25 > And it would be nice if the solution we use doesn't end up being like
26 > the very warty USE=test flag.
27 >
28 > We can make it a first class mechanism without having to tell users
29 > "don't use this", so why not.
30 >
31 > Of course, doing it right may require going through EAPI changes…
32
33 What about "initial-build" for the flag name, and making it part of the
34 next EAPI, such that PMs know how to handle it without involving the user
35 having to set it, and indeed, actually ignore the flag (as a masked flag)
36 in normal operation if the user /does/ set it?
37
38 Of course that'll require time for the EAPI bump, so the currently
39 unsolved cmake/jsoncpp issue would need a temporary fix, until that new
40 EAPI is available for in-tree use.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman